Cytotec 200 mcg or Misoprostol is an oral medication used to prevent stomach ulcers while taking NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs). It lowers the amount of acid to protect the stomach’s lining. It is also used in combination with Mifepristone to cause abortion in women who are less than nine weeks pregnant. It opens the cervix and increases the contractions that are already caused by Mifepristone to empty the uterus. In total, there are four tablets given for the termination of pregnancy that can be consumed either orally or vaginally.
How It Works
Cytotec 200 mcg reduces the amount of acid that is being produced in the stomach to protect the lining. It is a synthetic prostaglandin (chemicals made within the body’s organs) and reduces stomach ulcers in patients that are getting treated with NSAIDs. When used in combination with Mifepristone, it causes abortion by increasing contractions. It expels the pregnancy tissues.
Please consult your doctor before the use of this medicine.
Cytotec Misoprostol 200 mcg Uses
The medicine is used to treat various conditions, such as:
- Gastric Ulcer – It is an ulcer that occurs in the lining of the stomach.
- Duodenal Ulcer – It is an ulcer that occurs in the small intestine.
- NSAID-induced Ulcer – It is a gastric ulcer caused due to medications for pain, such as diclofenac, aspirin, etc.
- Postpartum bleeding – A condition where excessive bleeding occurs after childbirth.
- Cervical ripening – It is the softening of the cervix that begins prior to the onset of labor contractions.
- Induction of labor – stimulating the uterus to start labor.
- Termination of pregnancy – used in combination with Mifepristone to cause a first trimester (no more than 9 weeks) abortion.
How To Use
- Carefully read the patient information leaflet that comes with this medicine.
- Ask your doctor if you have any doubts or need some information even after reading the leaflet.
- Use Cytotec 200 MCG orally if you are using it to protect against stomach ulcers. Consult your doctor about how many times you need to take this medicine every day.
- Take this medicine by mouth if you are using it for abortion or exactly as told by your doctor.
- Insert the medicine into your vagina if you are using it to start labor.
Cytotec 200 mcg Side Effects
Side effects of Cytotec 200 MCG or Misoprostol include:
- Menstrual cramps
- Abdominal pain
- Pelvic pain
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, hands, and feet
- Vaginal bleeding
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Chest pain
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Acid reflux
Although most side effects of this medicine do not require special medical attention, contact your doctor immediately if you experience them for a long duration. Seek medical help immediately if you face any severe side effects.
Available dosages of Cytotec are:
- Cytotec 200 MCG
- Cytotec 100 MCG
It is crucial to consult a doctor to find the perfect dosage for you because the effect of doses varies on many factors, such as body composition, mass, etc.
For termination of early pregnancy, four tablets should be taken that you can take either orally or vaginally. For oral consumption, place the medicines into the cheek pouch for 20-25 minutes and then swallow the remaining fragments with water.
For vaginal administration, lie down and place the medicines at the farthest spot inside the vagina.
Take four tablets orally daily to treat gastric ulcers.
Make sure you consult with your doctor to find the perfect dosage and best prescription for using this medicine.
In case of missed dose: If you are using this medicine daily and missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. But skip the missed dosage if the next dose is coming shortly. Two doses at the same time can lead to overdosing.
In case of overdose: Overdosing of this medicine can lead to various side effects. Seek medical help immediately if you experience severe side effects of this medicine.
Interaction of Cytotec 200 MCG with the following drugs can alter the way it affects the body. Make sure you consult with your doctor before consuming Cytotec 200 MCG with any of the following drugs:
- Antacids containing magnesium
- Arthritis medications
Interaction with Alcohol: Consult your doctor before using this medication with Alcohol. Interaction of Cytotec 200 MCG with Alcohol can increase your chances of experiencing side effects.
Things To Take Care Of
Take care of the following things to make sure you get only the benefits from the medicine and not the side effects:
- Do not consume this medicine with any of the drugs listed above.
- Do not consume this medicine if you are allergic to Misoprostol.
- Consult your doctor before using this medicine.
- Let your doctor know about all the medications or drugs you are using before using this medicine.
- Do not consume this medicine if you are suffering from a health condition that may get worse after its use.
The substitutes available for this medication are:
- MTP KIT
- RU-486 (MIFEPRISTONE)
Please keep these storage instructions in mind while storing Cytotec 200 MCG:
- Store the medicine away from heat, moisture, and sunlight.
- Keep the medicine away from the reach of pets and children.
- Store the medicine in an airtight container after the pack is opened.
- Do not consume the medicine after its expiry date.