Finast 5 mg is an oral drug used for the treatment of hair loss and symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia among men. It contains Finasteride as its active ingredient. Finasteride belongs to a class of medications called type II 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. Finasteride blocks the action of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase which is responsible for hair thinning and aggravating the prostate. It strengthens the hair follicles giving a fuller, natural look.
How does it work?
Finast 5mg works by blocking the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase. This enzyme changes testosterone to another hormone that causes the prostate to grow or hair loss in males. Finasteride increases testosterone levels in the body supports hair growth and helps in relieving the symptoms of BPH.
Finast 5mg Uses
Male pattern baldness (or alopecia): It is the most common form of hair loss in men that occurs on the scalp. It begins at the temples, front of the scalp and crown of the head.
Benign prostatic hyperplasia: Also known as prostate enlargement, it is a condition that causes urination difficulty.
Recommended Finast 5mg Dosage
If you are taking Finast 5 mg for the treatment of male pattern baldness or alopecia, take a tablet once a day around the same time or as prescribed by the doctor.
If you are taking Finast 5 mg to treat BPH, take a tablet once a day around the same time. It will take a few months for the symptoms to improve. Do not stop the medication without your doctor’s approval.
In case of a missed dose, take it as soon as you remember. Unless it is the time for your next dose, then skip it. Do not take it more than once within 24 hours.
An overdose could lead to serious side effects. If you experience any of the side effects mentioned below, reach out to your doctor.
Finast 5mg Side Effects
The most common side effects of tab Finast 5mg tablets include
- Abnormal ejaculation
- Low sexual appetite
Some serious side effects may include
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest pain
Here are some precautions to be taken while taking Finast 5mg pills. Keep these in mind to reduce the risks of potential side effects. It is also advisable to consult your doctor before.
- Individuals allergic to Finasteride should refrain from using this medication.
- Individuals suffering from liver disease, prostate cancer, infections, or urinary problems, should seek medical advice before using this drug.
- Complete medical history should be discussed with the doctor. If you are taking any prescription or non-prescription medications, herbal teas, vitamins, or supplements let your doctor know about them before taking this drug.
- Do not crush or break the tablet as it can be absorbed into the skin. This can result in congenital abnormalities in male fetuses.
- This drug is not recommended for use in pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Drug interactions can alter the way a drug works or increase the risk of side effects. It is important to understand which medications your drug can interact with to minimize the risks. Talk to your doctor about your medical history. Here’s a list of drugs that can interact with Finast tablet.
- Antidepressants (fluoxetine, paroxetine).
- Medicines for heart disease (amiodarone)
- Drugs used for eye problems (like glaucoma or cataract), liver/kidney disease,
- Drugs for Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Keep the medication tightly sealed in its original packaging.
- Store it at room temperature and keep it away from direct sunlight.
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets
Will the use of Finast 5mg affect my sex life?
Although very rare, it is possible to have decreased sexual desire due to Finast. If you experience the inability to get an erection or a low sexual appetite, consult your doctor.
2. Does Finast 5 help in hair count?
Yes, this drug enhances your hair growth by strengthening your hair follicles and increasing hair count, giving a fuller, natural look.
3. Can I cut or split the Finast 5 mg tablets if I need a lower dose?
You should not cut or split the tablets without consulting your doctor or pharmacist. They can advise on alternative dosing options.
4. Is there an optimal time of day to take Finast 5 mg?
The timing of your dose is generally not critical. You can take it with or without food, but consistency in dosing is important.
- Zito PM, Bistas KG, Syed K. Finasteride. [Updated 2022 May 8]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513329/
- Mysore V, Shashikumar BM. Guidelines on the use of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2016 Mar-Apr;82(2):128-34. doi: 10.4103/0378-6323.177432. PMID: 26924401. https://ijdvl.com/guidelines-on-the-use-of-finasteride-in-androgenetic-alopecia/
- Gupta AK, Venkataraman M, Talukder M, Bamimore MA. Finasteride for hair loss: a review. J Dermatolog Treat. 2022 Jun;33(4):1938-1946. doi: 10.1080/09546634.2021.1959506. Epub 2021 Aug 2. PMID: 34291720. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09546634.2021.1959506?journalCode=ijdt20
- Tacklind J, Fink HA, Macdonald R, Rutks I, Wilt TJ. Finasteride for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Oct 6;2010(10):CD006015. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD006015.pub3. PMID: 20927745; PMCID: PMC8908761. https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006015.pub3/full