Finax 1 mg, containing the active ingredient Finasteride, helps in treating male pattern baldness and benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). It belongs to a class of medications called 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. This drug works by blocking an enzyme responsible for hair thinning and enlarging the prostate gland. This drug aids hair growth and improves symptoms of BPH.
How does it work?
Finax 1mg works by blocking the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase that changes testosterone into another hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This enzyme is responsible for prostate enlargement and hair thinning. Finasteride present in this medication decreases the amount of DHT, thereby reducing hair loss and shrinking the prostate.
- Male pattern baldness or alopecia: It is the most common form of hair loss in men that occurs on the scalp. It begins at the temples, front of the scalp and crown of the head.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia: Also known as prostate enlargement, it is a condition that causes urination difficulty.
If you are taking Finax 1 mg to treat male pattern baldness or alopecia, take a tablet once a day around the same time.
If you are taking Finax 1 mg to treat BPH, take a tablet once a day around the same time. It will take a few months for your symptoms to improve. Do not stop the medication without your doctor’s approval.
In case of a missed dose, take it as soon as you remember. Unless it is the time for your next dose, then skip it. Take the next dose at your regular time. Do not take it more than once within a 24-hour window.
Overdosing could lead to serious side effects. If you experience any of the side effects mentioned below, seek medical help immediately.
Finax 1mg tablets may cause some side effects. Some of them include
- Decreased sexual appetite
- Inability to achieve an erection
- Testicular pain
- Decrease in semen
- Severe dizziness
Some serious or allergic reactions include
- Change in breast size
- Breast pain
- Nipple discharge
- Difficulty in breathing
Call your doctor immediately if you experience unusual side effects while taking this medication.
Here are some precautions to be taken while taking Finax 1mg pills. Keep these in mind to reduce the risks of potential side effects. It is also advisable to consult your doctor before.
- Individuals suffering from liver disease, prostate cancer, infections, or urinary problems, should seek medical advice before using this drug.
- Individuals allergic to Finasteride, should refrain from using this drug.
- Complete medical history should be revealed to your doctor. A list of prescription or non-prescription medications, herbal teas, vitamins, or supplements that you take should be shared with the doctor before taking the medication.
- Do not crush or break the tablet as it can be absorbed into the skin. This can result in genital abnormalities in male fetuses.
This medicine is not recommended for use in pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Drug interactions can alter the way a drug works or increase the risk of side effects. It is important to understand which medications your drug can interact with to minimize the risks. Talk to your doctor about your medical history. Here’s a list of drugs that can interact with Finax 1 mg.
- Antidepressants (fluoxetine, paroxetine).
- Medicines for heart disease (amiodarone)
- Drugs used for eye problems (like glaucoma or cataract), liver/kidney disease,hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Keep the medication tightly sealed in its container.
- Store it at room temperature (below 30°C) and keep it away from direct sunlight.
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets
- Zito PM, Bistas KG, Syed K. Finasteride. [Updated 2022 May 8]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513329/
- Mysore V, Shashikumar BM. Guidelines on the use of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2016 Mar-Apr;82(2):128-34. doi: 10.4103/0378-6323.177432. PMID: 26924401. https://ijdvl.com/guidelines-on-the-use-of-finasteride-in-androgenetic-alopecia/
- Gupta AK, Venkataraman M, Talukder M, Bamimore MA. Finasteride for hair loss: a review. J Dermatolog Treat. 2022 Jun;33(4):1938-1946. doi: 10.1080/09546634.2021.1959506. Epub 2021 Aug 2. PMID: 34291720. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09546634.2021.1959506?journalCode=ijdt20
- Tacklind J, Fink HA, Macdonald R, Rutks I, Wilt TJ. Finasteride for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Oct 6;2010(10):CD006015. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD006015.pub3. PMID: 20927745; PMCID: PMC8908761. https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006015.pub3/full