Vilitra 20 mg contains Vardenafil 20mg as its active ingredient that helps to treat erectile dysfunction (ED) in men. It works by increasing the blood flow to the penis during sexual stimulation. This medicine is recommended to be taken once per day, and approximately 30 to 60 minutes before sexual intercourse. The effects of this drug can last around 4 to 5 hours. Consult with a doctor before taking this medicine.
How It Works
Vilitra 20 mg contains the active ingredient vardenafil 20, which belongs to a class of drugs called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors. When a man is sexually aroused, his body releases nitric oxide in the penis. Nitric oxide stimulates the production of a chemical called cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) in the erectile tissue. cGMP relaxes the smooth muscles in the blood vessels of the penis, allowing blood to flow into the erectile tissue, leading to an erection. PDE5 is an enzyme that breaks down cGMP, which can result in the loss of the erection. Vilitra 20mg inhibits the action of PDE5, allowing cGMP to accumulate in the penis, maintaining the erection by promoting blood flow. This helps men with ED achieve and sustain an erection when sexually stimulated.
Vilitra 20 mg is usually taken for the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a condition in which a man is unable to get or maintain an erection sufficient enough to get involved in sexual intercourse.
Vilitra 20 tablet is usually recommended to be taken once a day and approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour before planned sexual activity. Consult with your doctor to find the appropriate dose for you. The effects of this medicine may vary from one person to another. Do not take this medicine more than once in 24 hours as it can lead to overdose and increase the risk of experiencing side effects.
If you are taking this drug for the treatment of erectile dysfunction, the chances of missing a dose are less likely.
However, if you are taking it for the treatment of any other condition and have missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If the timing of the next dose is close, skip the missed dose and take the next one. Do not overdose.
In case of an overdose, seek medical help immediately as the overdose can increase the risk of side effects.
Vilitra 20 Side Effects
- loose motion/ diarrhoea
- upset stomach
- stuffy or runny nose
- flu-like symptoms
Other rare and often severe side effects may include-
- chest pain or palpitations
- loss of vision
- sudden deafness or a ringing sound in the ears
- difficulty in breathing
- back pain
- priapism (a painful erection that lasts for more than four hours)
- ringing in ears
- swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
While taking Vilitra 20 mg, some precautions should be taken to avoid any potential side effects. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Do not consume this medicine if you are allergic to Vardenafil.
- Let your doctor know about all the health conditions you are suffering from.
- Let your doctor know about all the other drugs or medications you are using.
- Avoid consuming heavy meals before this medicine as it may delay the onset of action.
- Avoid alcohol and grapefruit juice consumption while using this medication.
- Avoid smoking as it can alter the way this drug works.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not use this medication.
- Do not drive or perform activities that require alertness while using this drug.
Drug interactions can alter how a drug works or increase the risk of side effects. Here’s a list of drugs that can interact with Vilitra 20:
- Other PDE-5 inhibiting drugs such as Viagra (sildenafil), Cialis (tadalafil), etc
- Oral antifungals e.g., itraconazole or ketoconazole
- Alpha-blocker drugs (used for prostate-related problems) e.g., tamsulosin, alfuzosin, and doxazosin
- Beta-blockers like atenolol
- Diuretics (aka water-pills) like bumetanide, ethacrynic acid, furosemide, etc.
- Nitrates (used for treating heart conditions) e.g., isosorbide and nitroglycerine
- Anti-seizure or anti-epileptic medicines like carbamazepine
- Calcium channel blockers, e.g., amlodipine, nimodipine, verapamil, nicardipine, diltiazem, etc
- HIV protease inhibitors such as ritonavir and fosamprenavir
- Chemotherapy drugs e.g., tyrosine kinase inhibitors
- Medicines used to treat autoimmune conditions
- Guanylate cyclase (GC) stimulator, e.g., riociguat
Follow these storage instructions to make sure the medicine remains at its full potential:
- Keep the medicine in a cool and dry place away from the sunlight.
- Keep the medicine away from the reach of pets and children.
- Store the pills in an airtight container after the pack is opened.
- Do not use the medicine if it has passed its expiration date.
1. How does Vilitra 20 differ from lower doses of Vilitra?
Vilitra 20 mg is a medication used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED) in men. It contains vardenafil and is prescribed for individuals who require a moderate dosage for enhanced effectiveness compared to lower doses.
2. How long does the effect of Vilitra 20mg last?
The effects of Vilitra 20 mg typically last for about 4-5 hours, during which time you may achieve and maintain an erection when sexually stimulated.
3. Can Vilitra 20 mg tablet be split into smaller doses if needed?
Splitting or altering the dosage of Vilitra 20 mg should only be done under the guidance of a healthcare provider. Do not split the tablet without consulting a professional.
4. What should I do if I accidentally take more than the prescribed dose of Vilitra 20mg pills?
If you accidentally take more Vilitra 20 mg than recommended, seek immediate medical attention. Overdosing can lead to serious health complications, and prompt medical intervention is essential.
- Ormrod D, Easthope SE, Figgitt DP. Vardenafil. Drugs Aging. 2002;19(3):217-27; discussion 228-9. doi: 10.2165/00002512-200219030-00005. Erratum in: Drugs Aging 2002;19(11):886. Erratum in: Drugs Aging. 2003;20(2):140. PMID: 12027779. https://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00002512-200219030-00005
- Wang H, Guo B, Huang Z, Zhao X, Ji Z. Vardenafil in the Treatment of Male Erectile Dysfunction: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Adv Ther. 2021 Feb;38(2):1301-1313. doi: 10.1007/s12325-020-01559-9. Epub 2021 Jan 11. PMID: 33432539. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12325-020-01559-9
- Ashour AE, Rahman AF, Kassem MG. Vardenafil dihydrochloride. Profiles Drug Subst Excip Relat Methodol. 2014;39:515-44. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-800173-8.00009-X. PMID: 24794912.
- Keating GM, Scott LJ. Vardenafil: a review of its use in erectile dysfunction. Drugs. 2003;63(23):2673-703. doi: 10.2165/00003495-200363230-00010. PMID: 14636086. https://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00003495-200363230-00010
Crowe SM, Streetman DS. Vardenafil treatment for erectile dysfunction. Ann Pharmacother. 2004 Jan;38(1):77-85. doi: 10.1345/aph.1D019. PMID: 14742800. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1345/aph.1D019