Caverta 100 mg is a popular drug used to treat erectile dysfunction (impotence) and sometimes pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). Caverta 100 mg belongs to a class of drugs called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors. The active ingredient Sildenafil Citrate increases the blood flow to the penis. This helps during sexual activity by maintaining a firm erection for a longer period. The effects usually last for around 4 to 5 hours.
How does it work?
Caverta 100 mg is used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction or impotence in men. Sildenafil Citrate, the active ingredient in Caverta 100 mg, is a type 5 phosphodiesterase (PDE5) inhibitor. It works by relaxing the muscles in your pelvic area and increasing the blood flow to your penis. This allows you to have a firm erection for a longer period of time.
Caverta 100 mg Uses
- Erectile Dysfunction or impotence: It is a condition in which a man is unable to achieve or sustain an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse.
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension: It is a type of high blood pressure that affects the arteries in the lungs and the right side of the heart.
Caverta 100mg can be taken in two ways, either 30 minutes to 1 hour before sexual activity or as a daily prescription. If you take it daily, it is ideal to take it at a fixed time. It can be taken with or without food.
You are less likely to miss a dose as this drug is usually taken as and when needed. However, if you have been prescribed this drug for daily use, you should take it as soon as you remember. Unless it’s the time for your next dose, in that case, skip it. Double doses within 24 hours are not recommended. This could lead to some side effects.
If someone has overdosed and is facing severe side effects like chest pain or trouble with breathing, seek medical attention immediately.
- Caverta 100 mg may have some side effects. If you feel severe discomfort, seek medical help immediately. The most common side effects include:
- difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- numbness, burning or tingling
Serious side effects may include
- sudden severe loss of vision
- loss of hearing
- dizziness or light-headedness
- chest pain
- worsening shortness of breath
- erection that is painful or lasts longer than 4 hours
- itching or burning during urination
To reduce the risks, stick to the recommended dose on the packaging or as advised by your doctor. Call your doctor if you experience unusual side effects while taking this medication.
Here are a few things to keep in mind before taking Caverta 100 mg. It is also advisable to consult your doctor before taking this medication.
- Individuals allergic to Sildenafil Citrate or any key ingredients should consult their doctor first.
- Complete medical history (prescription or non-prescription drugs, vitamins, supplements, herbal teas, etc) should be revealed to your doctor to avoid any potential side effects or medical interactions.
- Do not drink grapefruit juice or alcohol while taking this medication.
- This medicine is not recommended for use in pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Drug interactions can alter how a medication works and could potentially increase the risk of side effects. If you are taking any medications, discuss them with your doctor. Caverta can interact with the following medications:
- Alpha-blocker (doxazosin, tamsulosin)
- Azole antifungals (itraconazole, ketoconazole)
- Macrolide antibiotics (clarithromycin, erythromycin)
- HIV protease inhibitors (ritonavir, saquinavir)
- Hepatitis C virus protease inhibitors (boceprevir, telaprevir)
- Nitrates (nitroglycerin, isosorbide)
- Isosorbide Dinitrate
- Isosorbide Mononitrate
- Phenobarbital, and phenytoin
- Rifabutin and rifampin.
- Anticoagulants such as warfarin
- Beta-blockers such as atenolol, labetalol, metoprolol, nadolol, and propranolol
- Bosentan; cimetidine; efavirenz; erythromycin
- Certain medications for seizures including carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifabutin, and rifampin.
- Store at room temperature (15°C-30°C) away from light and moisture, preferably with low humidity or direct light.
- Do not store it in the bathroom.
- Keep all medications away from children and pets.
- Dispose of the discarded pills and empty packaging in a suitable manner. Do not flush them.
- Fink HA, Mac Donald R, Rutks IR, Nelson DB, Wilt TJ. Sildenafil for male erectile dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 2002 Jun 24;162(12):1349-60. doi: 10.1001/archinte.162.12.1349. PMID: 12076233. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/211714
- Loran OB, Ströberg P, Lee SW, Park NC, Kim SW, Tseng LJ, Collins S, Stecher VJ. Sildenafil citrate 100 mg starting dose in men with erectile dysfunction in an international, double-blind, placebo-controlled study: effect on the sexual experience and reducing feelings of anxiety about the next intercourse attempt. J Sex Med. 2009 Oct;6(10):2826-35. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2009.01428.x. PMID: 19817982. https://www.jsm.jsexmed.org/article/S1743-6095(15)32273-6/fulltext
- Smith BP, Babos M. Sildenafil. [Updated 2022 May 3]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK558978/
- Galiè N, Ghofrani HA, Torbicki A, Barst RJ, Rubin LJ, Badesch D, Fleming T, Parpia T, Burgess G, Branzi A, Grimminger F, Kurzyna M, Simonneau G; Sildenafil Use in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (SUPER) Study Group. Sildenafil citrate therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension. N Engl J Med. 2005 Nov 17;353(20):2148-57. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa050010. Erratum in: N Engl J Med. 2006 Jun 1;354(22):2400-1. PMID: 16291984. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa050010
- Sofikitis N, Kaltsas A, Dimitriadis F, Rassweiler J, Grivas N, Zachariou A, Kaponis A, Tsounapi P, Paterakis N, Karagiannis A, Skouros S, Giannakis I, Champilomatis I, Paschopoulos M, Daphnis D, Giakoumakis I, R Gabales M, M Chua JB, Lantin Iii PL, Mamoulakis C, Takenaka A. The Effect of PDE5 Inhibitors on the Male Reproductive Tract. Curr Pharm Des. 2021;27(23):2697-2713. doi: 10.2174/1381612826666200226121510. PMID: 32101115. https://www.eurekaselect.com/article/104866