Modvigil 100 mg is a medication that produces wakefulness effects. It is commonly prescribed to people suffering from narcolepsy, sleep apnea, and shift work sleep disorder. Modafinil, an active ingredient present in the drug, belongs to a class of medications known as wakefulness-promoting agents. It helps in staying alert during the day and restoring a normal sleeping pattern. It works by altering the levels of chemicals in your brain responsible for sleep and wakefulness.
How does it work?
Modvigil 100 mg contains Modafinil which works by elevating the concentration levels of norepinephrine and serotonin in the prefrontal cortex and hypothalamus which has an indirect effect of increased extracellular dopamine. This induces wakefulness effects and reduces the effect of sleep-promoting neurons on the brain, allowing a person to perform their daily activities without the stress of excessive sleep.
- Narcolepsy: Narcolepsy is a neurological sleep disorder that affects your brain’s activity which controls the sleep-wake cycle. It causes you to have an uncontrollable urge to fall asleep during the day involuntarily.
- Sleep Apnea: Sleep apnea is when a person’s breathing stops or temporarily becomes shallow during sleep.
Shift work sleep disorder: Shift work sleep disorder occurs in individuals who work non-traditional or odd hours like late night shifts. It is characterized by excessive sleepiness, lack of sleep, and drowsiness.
If you are taking Modvigil for narcolepsy or sleep apnea, take this medication with or without food at a fixed time (usually early morning) as advised by your doctor.
If you are using it for shift work sleep disorder, it is ideal to consume the pill an hour before your work shift starts. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment.
If you happen to miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember unless it is time for your next dose. It should not be taken twice during a 24-hour window.
If someone has overdosed and is facing severe side effects like chest pain or trouble with breathing, call your doctor immediately.
Modvigil 100 mg may cause some potential side effects. Most of these side effects usually do not require any medical attention. However, if they persist for long, contact your doctor. Common side effects include:
- difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- loss of appetite
Less common side effects include:
- Back pain
- Decrease in appetite
- Difficulty having a bowel movement
- Dryness of the skin
- Muscle stiffness
Call your doctor immediately if you experience unusual side effects while taking this medication.
Some precautions should be taken while consuming Modvigil 100 mg. Keep these in mind to reduce the risks of potential side effects.
- Individuals suffering from kidney, liver, or heart conditions, should seek medical advice before using this medication.
- Individuals allergic to any constituent ingredients like Modafinil should refrain from using this drug.
- Complete medical history should be shared with the doctor to avoid any medical interactions.
- This medicine is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- People under 18 years of age should not use this drug.
- Avoid alcohol or grapefruit juice while taking this medication.
Drug interactions can alter how a drug works or increase the risk of side effects. It is important to understand which medications your drug can interact with to minimize the risks. Talk to your doctor about your medical history. Here’s a list of drugs that interact with Modvigil 100mg.
- Antihepaciviral combination products
- Antiretroviral combination products
- Estrogen Derivatives
- Opioid medications (e.g., codeine, fentanyl, hydrocodone)
- Keep the medication tightly sealed in its original container.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
- Do not flush the tablets.
- Gerrard P, Malcolm R. Mechanisms of modafinil: A review of current research. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2007 Jun;3(3):349-64. PMID: 19300566; PMCID: PMC2654794.
- Battleday RM, Brem AK. Modafinil for cognitive neuroenhancement in healthy non-sleep-deprived subjects: A systematic review. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015 Nov;25(11):1865-81. doi: 10.1016/j.euroneuro.2015.07.028. Epub 2015 Aug 20. PMID: 26381811. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0924977X15002497?via%3Dihub
- Repantis D, Bovy L, Ohla K, Kühn S, Dresler M. Cognitive enhancement effects of stimulants: a randomized controlled trial testing methylphenidate, modafinil, and caffeine. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2021 Feb;238(2):441-451. doi: 10.1007/s00213-020-05691-w. Epub 2020 Nov 17. PMID: 33201262; PMCID: PMC7826302. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00213-020-05691-w
- Minzenberg MJ, Carter CS. Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jun;33(7):1477-502. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1301534. Epub 2007 Aug 22. PMID: 17712350. https://www.nature.com/articles/1301534
- Kredlow MA, Keshishian A, Oppenheimer S, Otto MW. The Efficacy of Modafinil as a Cognitive Enhancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2019 Sep/Oct;39(5):455-461. doi: 10.1097/JCP.0000000000001085. PMID: 31433334. https://journals.lww.com/psychopharmacology/Abstract/2019/09000/The_Efficacy_of_Modafinil_as_a_Cognitive_Enhancer_.7.aspx