Vilitra 60 mg is an oral medicine used in treating erectile dysfunction in men. It contains Vardenafil 60 mg as its active ingredient, a phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE-5) inhibitor. Erectile dysfunction is a condition in which the person is unable to get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse. This medicine should not be taken more than once in 24 hours. Take it as directed by the doctor, usually 30 to 60 minutes before sexual intercourse.
How Vilitra 60 mg works
Vilitra 60 mg contains the active ingredient vardenafil 60, which belongs to a class of drugs called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors. When a man is sexually aroused, his body releases nitric oxide in the penis. Nitric oxide stimulates the production of a chemical called cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) in the erectile tissue. cGMP relaxes the smooth muscles in the blood vessels of the penis, allowing blood to flow into the erectile tissue, leading to an erection. PDE5 is an enzyme that breaks down cGMP, which can result in the loss of the erection. Vilitra 60mg tablets inhibit the action of PDE5, allowing cGMP to accumulate in the penis, maintaining the erection by promoting blood flow. This helps men with ED achieve and sustain an erection when sexually stimulated.
Vilitra 60 mg is used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction or impotence is a condition in which the person is unable to get or maintain an erection sufficient enough to get involved in sexual intercourse.
Vilitra 60 is usually recommended to be taken once a day and approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour before planned sexual activity. It can be taken with or without food. Do not try to chew, crush, or break the medicine into pieces. The medicine should not be taken more than once in 24 hours. Consult your doctor for the best directions and a safer experience.
If you are taking this drug for the treatment of erectile dysfunction, the chances of missing a dose are less likely.
However, if you are taking it for the treatment of any other condition and have missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If the timing of the next dose is close, skip the missed dose and take the next one. Do not overdose.
You are likely to face side effects if you have overdosed. If you experience severe side effects, seek medical help immediately.
Vilitra 60mg Tablet Side Effects
Side effects of Vilitra 60 mg tablets include:
- flu-like symptoms
- runny or stuffy nose
Other more dangerous symptoms that may be a result of allergic reaction or an overdose of vardenafil are-
- vision changes (Non-arteritic Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy-NAION)
- changes in color vision
- difficulty in breathing
- skin rashes
- chest pain
- sudden loss of hearing abilities
While taking Vilitra 60mg, some precautions should be taken to avoid any potential side effects. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Do not consume this medicine if you are allergic to Vardenafil.
- Let your doctor know about all the health conditions you are suffering from.
- Let your doctor know about all the other drugs or medications you are using.
- Avoid heavy meals before consuming this medicine as it may increase its reaction time.
- Avoid alcohol and grapefruit juice consumption while using this medication.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not use this medication.
- Avoid smoking as it can alter the way this drug works.
- Do not drive or perform activities that require alertness while using this drug.
- Do not forget to consult with your doctor and get advice before using this medicine.
Drug interactions can alter how a drug works or increase the risk of side effects. Here’s a list of drugs that can interact with Vilitra 60
- Other PDE-5 inhibiting drugs such as Viagra (sildenafil), Cialis (tadalafil), etc
- Oral antifungals e.g., itraconazole or ketoconazole
- Alpha-blocker drugs (used for prostate-related problems) e.g., tamsulosin, alfuzosin, and doxazosin
- Beta-blockers like atenolol
- Diuretics (aka water-pills) like bumetanide, ethacrynic acid, furosemide, etc.
- Nitrates (used for treating heart conditions) e.g., isosorbide and nitroglycerine
- Anti-seizure or anti-epileptic medicines like carbamazepine
- Calcium channel blockers, e.g., amlodipine, nimodipine, verapamil, nicardipine, diltiazem, etc
- HIV protease inhibitors such as ritonavir and fosamprenavir
- Chemotherapy drugs e.g., tyrosine kinase inhibitors
- Medicines used to treat autoimmune conditions
- Guanylate cyclase (GC) stimulator, e.g., riociguat
- Do not use the medicine if it has passed its expiration date.
- Keep the medicine in a cold, dark place away from the sunlight.
- Keep the medicine away from the reach of pets and children.
- Store the pills in an airtight container after the pack is opened.
- Can Vilitra 60 be used by older adults?
Vilitra 60 mg can be used by older adults, but the dosage and timing may need to be adjusted based on individual health and medication interactions. Consult with a healthcare provider for personalized recommendations.
2. How long does the effect of Vilitra 60 mg last?
The effects of Vilitra 60 mg can last for up to 5-6 hours, providing an extended window of opportunity for sexual activity. However, individual responses may vary, and it’s essential to follow your doctor’s guidance.
3. Is Vilitra 60mg safe for everyone?
Vilitra 60mg is generally safe for most men with erectile dysfunction. However, it may not be suitable for individuals with specific medical conditions, such as heart problems or liver disease. Additionally, it can interact with certain medications, particularly nitrates used for chest pain. To ensure safety and suitability, consult a healthcare professional before using Vilitra 60mg, especially if you have any underlying health concerns or are taking other medications.
- Ormrod D, Easthope SE, Figgitt DP. Vardenafil. Drugs Aging. 2002;19(3):217-27; discussion 228-9. doi: 10.2165/00002512-200219030-00005. Erratum in: Drugs Aging 2002;19(11):886. Erratum in: Drugs Aging. 2003;20(2):140. PMID: 12027779. https://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00002512-200219030-00005
- Wang H, Guo B, Huang Z, Zhao X, Ji Z. Vardenafil in the Treatment of Male Erectile Dysfunction: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Adv Ther. 2021 Feb;38(2):1301-1313. doi: 10.1007/s12325-020-01559-9. Epub 2021 Jan 11. PMID: 33432539.
- Ashour AE, Rahman AF, Kassem MG. Vardenafil dihydrochloride. Profiles Drug Subst Excip Relat Methodol. 2014;39:515-44. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-800173-8.00009-X. PMID: 24794912.
- Keating GM, Scott LJ. Vardenafil: a review of its use in erectile dysfunction. Drugs. 2003;63(23):2673-703. doi: 10.2165/00003495-200363230-00010. PMID: 14636086. https://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00003495-200363230-00010
Crowe SM, Streetman DS. Vardenafil treatment for erectile dysfunction. Ann Pharmacother. 2004 Jan;38(1):77-85. doi: 10.1345/aph.1D019. PMID: 14742800. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1345/aph.1D019