Aurogra 100 mg contains the active ingredient Sildenafil Citrate which is used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (also known as impotence). It may also be used to treat the symptoms of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH). Sildenafil citrate increases the blood flow to the penis. Erectile dysfunction or ED is the inability to sustain a firm erection for sexual intercourse. This drug helps in achieving and maintaining a firm erection. The effects of this drug are known to last for approximately 4 to 5 hours.
How does it work?
Aurogra 100 mg belongs to a class of drugs called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors. Sildenafil Citrate present in Aurogra helps increase the blood flow to the penis. It blocks the action of the enzyme PDE5 and relaxes the smooth blood vessel walls of the penis. The increased blood flow to the penis helps in achieving and sustaining an erection.
- Erectile dysfunction or impotence: It is a condition in which a man is unable to achieve or sustain an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse.
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension: It is a type of high blood pressure that affects the arteries in the lungs and the right side of the heart.
Aurogra 100 mg is intended to be taken orally with or without food. There are two ways of taking this medication.
- You can take it before sexual activity. In that case, you should consume the tablet 30 to 60 minutes before sexual activity.
- If you are taking it for treating symptoms of PAH, your doctor might recommend you to take it daily.
Do not split the tablet into two halves or crush it.
This medication is usually taken as and when needed. Therefore, it is less likely that you will miss a dose. But in case you do, you can take it immediately or wait for the next day. Do not take two doses within a 24-hour window.
If someone has overdosed and is facing serious side effects like chest pain or has trouble breathing, seek medical help immediately.
Aurogra 100 mg Side effects
Aurogra 100mg may cause some side effects. Some common side effects include:
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Muscle pains
- Erection that lasts longer than normal
- Runny nose
More serious side effects include:
- Sudden loss of vision
- Blurred vision
- Sudden decrease or loss of hearing
- Ringing in ears
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Erection that is painful or lasts longer than 4 hours
- Itching during urination
Common side effects are usually mild and disappear within a day. However, if they persist for more than a day, consult your doctor immediately.
- People allergic to Sildenafil Citrate should refrain from using Aurogra 100 mg.
- People with underlying health conditions of the kidney, liver, or heart should consult their doctor before taking this drug.
- People with blood cell disorders should consult their doctor.
- People under the age of 18 should not use this medication.
- This medication is not recommended for use in pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Do not consume alcohol or grapefruit juice while taking this drug.
Drug interactions can alter how a medication works and could potentially increase the risk of side effects. If you are taking any medications, discuss them with your doctor. Aurogra can interact with the following medications:
- Alpha-blocker (doxazosin, tamsulosin)
- Azole antifungals (itraconazole, ketoconazole)
- Macrolide antibiotics (clarithromycin, erythromycin)
- HIV protease inhibitors (ritonavir, saquinavir)
- Hepatitis C virus protease inhibitors (boceprevir, telaprevir)
- Nitrates (nitroglycerin, isosorbide)
- Isosorbide Dinitrate
- Isosorbide Mononitrate
- Phenobarbital, and phenytoin
- Rifabutin and rifampin.
- Anticoagulants such as warfarin
- Beta-blockers such as atenolol, labetalol, metoprolol, nadolol, and propranolol
- Bosentan; cimetidine; efavirenz; erythromycin
- Certain medications for seizures including carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifabutin, and rifampin.
- Store at room temperature away from light and moisture, preferably with low humidity or direct light.
- Do not store it in the bathroom.
- Keep all medications away from children and pets.
- Do not consume past the expiry date.
- Fink HA, Mac Donald R, Rutks IR, Nelson DB, Wilt TJ. Sildenafil for male erectile dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 2002 Jun 24;162(12):1349-60. doi: 10.1001/archinte.162.12.1349. PMID: 12076233. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/211714
- Loran OB, Ströberg P, Lee SW, Park NC, Kim SW, Tseng LJ, Collins S, Stecher VJ. Sildenafil citrate 100 mg starting dose in men with erectile dysfunction in an international, double-blind, placebo-controlled study: effect on the sexual experience and reducing feelings of anxiety about the next intercourse attempt. J Sex Med. 2009 Oct;6(10):2826-35. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2009.01428.x. PMID: 19817982. https://www.jsm.jsexmed.org/article/S1743-6095(15)32273-6/fulltext
- Smith BP, Babos M. Sildenafil. [Updated 2022 May 3]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK558978/
- Galiè N, Ghofrani HA, Torbicki A, Barst RJ, Rubin LJ, Badesch D, Fleming T, Parpia T, Burgess G, Branzi A, Grimminger F, Kurzyna M, Simonneau G; Sildenafil Use in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (SUPER) Study Group. Sildenafil citrate therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension. N Engl J Med. 2005 Nov 17;353(20):2148-57. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa050010. Erratum in: N Engl J Med. 2006 Jun 1;354(22):2400-1. PMID: 16291984. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa050010
- Sofikitis N, Kaltsas A, Dimitriadis F, Rassweiler J, Grivas N, Zachariou A, Kaponis A, Tsounapi P, Paterakis N, Karagiannis A, Skouros S, Giannakis I, Champilomatis I, Paschopoulos M, Daphnis D, Giakoumakis I, R Gabales M, M Chua JB, Lantin Iii PL, Mamoulakis C, Takenaka A. The Effect of PDE5 Inhibitors on the Male Reproductive Tract. Curr Pharm Des. 2021;27(23):2697-2713. doi: 10.2174/1381612826666200226121510. PMID: 32101115. https://www.eurekaselect.com/article/104866