Cenforce 50 mg is an oral medication used to treat erectile dysfunction in men. It contains 50 mg of Sildenafil Citrate as the active ingredient. The medicine is usually recommended to be taken around 30 minutes to 1 hour before getting involved in sexual intercourse. Its effects can last for around 4 hours. Consult your doctor for the best directions for using this medicine.
How Cenforce 50 mg Works
The active ingredient in Cenforce 50mg, Sildenafil Citrate, is a phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor (PDE-5 inhibitor). It inhibits phosphodiesterase enzyme 5, which degrades cGMP in the bloodstream. cGMP is responsible for increasing the flow of blood to the penis. Cenforce treats erectile dysfunction by increasing blood flow to the penis. This increased blood flow can cause an erection. However, this medication requires sexual stimulation to cause an erection.
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED): Cenforce 50mg tablet is prescribed to men who experience difficulty getting or maintaining an erection. It is effective in improving the quality of erections and enhancing sexual performance.
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH): The active ingredient Sildenafil 50 mg is to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension. It helps to relax the blood vessels in the lungs, reducing the workload on the heart. Thus, improving exercise capacity in people with this condition.
If you are taking Cenforce 50 to treat erectile dysfunction, take it as needed before sexual activity. The best time to take sildenafil 50 is about 1 hour before sexual activity. However, you can take the medication any time from 30 minutes to 4 hours before sexual activity. This medication should not be taken more than once every 24 hours. You can take Cenforce with or without food. However, avoid taking sildenafil with a high-fat meal, as it will take longer for the medication to start to work.
If you are taking Cenforce 50 tablet to treat PAH, you will probably take sildenafil three times a day with or without food. Take it at around the same time every day.
Consult with your doctor to find the right dose for you.
If you are taking this drug for the treatment of erectile dysfunction, the chances of missing the dose are less likely.
However, if you are taking it for the treatment of any other condition and have missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If the timing of the next dose is close, skip the missed dose and take the next one. Do not overdose.
Overdosing on Cenforce 50 mg can lead to severe side effects. Seek medical help immediately if you have overdosed on this medicine.
- stuffy nose
- ringing sound in the ears
Some serious side effects include
- heart attack symptoms: chest pain, nausea, pain extending to your jaw/ shoulder sweating, etc.
- allergic reaction: hives, rashes, swelling of your tongue, face, throat, breathing problems, etc.
- loss of vision
- irregular heartbeat
While taking Cenforce 50, some precautions should be taken to avoid any potential side effects. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- If you are allergic to Sildenafil Citrate or any other components of Cenforce, do not use this medication.
- Cenforce 50 mg is for adult men only. It should not be used by women or children.
- If you have any underlying medical conditions or are taking other medications, consult your healthcare provider before using Cenforce 50 mg.
- Avoid alcohol and grapefruit juice consumption while using this medication.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not use this medication.
- Smoking can alter the way this drug works, so avoid smoking.
- Do not drive or perform activities that require alertness while using this drug.
Certain drugs can interact with Cenforce 50 and can alter the way it works. Here is a list of drugs that can interact with Cenforce 50 tablets.
- Alpha-blocker drugs for prostate-related disorders, like tamsulosin, alfuzosin, and doxazosin can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure
- Oral antifungals e.g., itraconazole and ketoconazole
- Guanylate cyclase (GC) stimulator, like riociguat
- Beta-blockers e.g., atenolol
- Other PDE-5 inhibitors like tadalafil, vardenafil, etc.
- Medications for epileptic seizures e.g., carbamazepine
- Drugs containing nitrates, like isosorbide and nitroglycerine that are used for treating heart conditions like angina
- Poppers or recreational drugs e.g., amyl nitrite, amyl nitrate, etc.
- Macrolide antibiotics e.g., clarithromycin, erythromycin, etc.
- HIV protease inhibitors e.g., fosamprenavir, saquinavir, and ritonavir
- Hepatitis C virus protease inhibitors e.g., boceprevir and telaprevir
- Mifepristone (the content of the abortion pill)
Follow these storage guidelines to keep the pills effective and intact for a longer time.
- Keep the tablets in their original packaging when not in use.
- Keep them away from damp and direct sunlight.
- The place should be in the normal room temperature range, i.e., 59–86° F or 15–30° C.
- Keep them out of reach of children and pets.
- Do not consume past the expiry date.
- Dispose of the discarded pills and empty packaging in a suitable manner. Do not flush them.
Is Cenforce 50 mg suitable for first-time users?
Cenforce 50 mg is often prescribed as a starting dose for first-time users. However, consult with your doctor for personalized guidance.
2. Can I take Cenforce 50mg with food?
Cenforce 50 mg can be taken with or without food, but it may work faster on an empty stomach. Avoid consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice when taking this medication.
3. What should I do if I experience side effects with Cenforce 50?
If you experience any side effects, especially if they are severe or persistent, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
4. How does Cenforce 50mg work to treat erectile dysfunction?
Cenforce 50 mg contains sildenafil citrate, which relaxes blood vessels in the penis, allowing for increased blood flow, and thus, helps in achieving and maintaining an erection.
5. Can I drink alcohol while taking Cenforce 50mg tablets?
It’s best to limit alcohol consumption while taking Cenforce 50 mg, as excessive alcohol can reduce its effectiveness and increase the risk of side effects.
- Krishnappa P, Fernandez-Pascual E, Carballido J, Martinez-Salamanca JI. Sildenafil/Viagra in the treatment of premature ejaculation. Int J Impot Res. 2019 Mar;31(2):65-70. doi: 10.1038/s41443-018-0099-2. Epub 2019 Mar 5. PMID: 30837718.
- Irwin GM. Erectile Dysfunction. Prim Care. 2019 Jun;46(2):249-255. doi: 10.1016/j.pop.2019.02.006. Epub 2019 Apr 1. PMID: 31030826.
- Fink HA, Mac Donald R, Rutks IR, Nelson DB, Wilt TJ. Sildenafil for male erectile dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 2002 Jun 24;162(12):1349-60. doi: 10.1001/archinte.162.12.1349. PMID: 12076233.
- Chew KK, Stuckey BG, Thompson PL. Erectile dysfunction, sildenafil and cardiovascular risk. Med J Aust. 2000 Mar 20;172(6):279-83. Erratum in: Med J Aust 2000 May 15;172(10):511. PMID: 10860094.